Closing your pool
Winterizing is the most important thing you can do to make your spring pool opening as easy as possible. There are enormous benefits to correctly closing your pool, including:
- Protecting your pool surfaces and equipment; protecting your investments
- Keeping water looking its best all winter long
- Protecting equipment from freeze damage
- Saving time and money on extra maintenance when you open your pool
Whether you completely cover your pool or just reduce maintenance, BioGuard® can make winterizing painless. Convenient Arctic Blue® Winter Kits include the products you need for cold weather care.
While on vacation, debris and bacteria can collect in your pool and upset the water balance. Consider a “vacation plan” to prevent problems so you can come home to a clear pool and not a messy surprise.
- Contact your BioGuard Dealer for a vacation maintenance plan. (Your dealer can give you instructions based on your specific BioGuard Program.)
- Clean your pool thoroughly, brushing and vacuuming walls and floors.
- Test pool water and make sure it’s properly balanced. Anything that’s out of balance, especially total alkalinity or pH, will likely get worse when left unattended.
- Run your pump at least eight hours a day to ensure adequate filtration. (Either set your timer or ask a neighbor to turn it on and off.)
- Upon returning, have your BioGuard Dealer perform a water analysis to ensure that your pool is properly balanced and ready for swimming.